Strengthening mdf to take a hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all. I am making some small (45 x 60cm) cupboard doors from 18mm ply with 12mm thick mdf 'planks' attached to the front to match some larger shaker style doors. Using normal butt hinges, the screws will fall partly between the mdf and the ply, or in the mdf. I know mdf is not great when you try and add fixings on the edge. What is the best approach? I am considering either drilling 10mm holes where the screws will go, then putting in dowel to take the screws, or routing out a 10mm deep section of the mdf, leaving the facing intact and putting a 10mm thick, 50mm deep section of pine to take the hinge screws. What would people recommend? Will the dowel be enough or should I be 'robust' and put a larger section of pine in place? Your wisdom (and any better suggestions) appreciated. Note: I don't want to use concealed Blum style hinges. Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
dont mix and match use all mdf for no6 or 3.5mm use a 3mm pilot hole for no 7 or 4mm use a 3.2 mm pilot or no8 4.5 3.5mm the full length off the screw and you wont have much trouble with delamination

if you mix and match ply and mdf you may get movement on the surface
you also have to treat each material differently

Wrong hinge choice, use kitchen style hinges, simples. ;)

you have to be carefull foxhole we are talking 40mm thick here they will of course open to 95% but no more
also the inner face that the hinge is attached to on the cabinet must be more than 40mm from another door or wall for the doors to open fully

Sponsored Links
Wrong hinge choice, use kitchen style hinges, simples. ;)

you have to be carefull foxhole we are talking 40mm thick here they will of course open to 95% but no more
also the inner face that the hinge is attached to on the cabinet must be more than 40mm from another door or wall for the doors to open fully
No mention of any restrictions in original post or any need for more than 90 degree opening.

As you were talking about routing out a recess and fitting pine, becuase this is hidden why not make up 8mm thick aluminium blocks instead the drill and tap them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back