Concealed Hinge Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just made a door 30mm thick for an eaves storage opening. The gap has a lining in with architrave fitted.

I got these Blum overlay hinges to hang the door - https://www.toolstation.com/blum-thick-profile-soft-close-blumotion-concealed-hinge/p29999?. I packed out the lining with a strip of 30mm MDF to screw the mounting plate on and accommodate overlay hinges. That is set back 31mm to allow for the door.

The hinges were put into a 13mm deep 35mm wide hole which is 22.5mm away from the edge of the door panel and the mounting plate is screwed in 37mm from the edge of the MDF packing strip.

As you look at the door in a closed position the hinges are on the left hand side. When I fitted everything like above there is a big gap of 11mm or more on the left (hinge side) of the door when I try to close it so it does even fit in the opening anymore.

I have no idea why it’s happening. Any ideas why the door is being moved so far to the right?

Sponsored Links
Are you attempting an inset door or a lay on door? These hinges are specifically designed for use with lay-on (overlay) doors - where the cabinet door overlays the carcass (or frame) edge by 15 to 20mm, and where the hinge mounting (cruciform) plate is mounted flat on the inside of the carcass (or casing), so no packer required, surely? Any chance of a photograph showing the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
They are intended for material 16-18mm thick .
I initially thought that, too, until I followed the link which threw-up this (from the website):

Blum Hinge Door Thickness.png

Says "Ideal for 32mm thick doors". On the Blum website it shows these two drawings (for obverlay and inset):

Blum Thick Door Overlay Hinge.png
Blum Thick Door Inset Hinge.png

Both of them require the cruciform (mounting) plate to be fixed direct onto the door casing/cabinet wall whereas the OP states that he

...packed out the lining with a strip of 30mm MDF to screw the mounting plate on and accommodate overlay hinges...

but mentioned the opening as having "architraves", I thought possibly meaning a door lining as architraves would not be relevant for this type of overlay installation, or maybe there are architraves fitted to a casing in which case I think he needs to go for an inset door on the appropriate hinges. That is why I requested a photo so I or someone else could confirm the situation

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back