wardrobe door hanging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to build a set of wardrobes veneer faced cabinets with painted MDF framed doors inset in a painted face frame (shaker stile)
I was thinking 32mm X 60mm wardrobe face frame and 32mm X 60mm door frame with 18mm inset MDF.
(six cabinets at 650mm width X 2200mm Height X 600mm depth)
My question relates to the door hinges.
As I cannot use euro type hinges what would I need for above?
Thanks.
PC

Sponsored Links
With the doors being “inset” not overlaid And being32mm thickness I assumed euro was out of the question
Would I be

With the doors being “inset” not overlaid And being32mm thickness I assumed euro was out of the question
Would I be looking for a specific hinge
Thanks
Paul C

Sponsored Links
There are various ways of supporting Euro hinges including extra tall cruciform plates and simply adding a block to the inside of the wardrobe to carry them. There is also a face frame hinge made by Blum for face frames. The issue might be the thickness of your face frames. Why 32mm when 22mm would do (and permit off the shelf hinges)? For that matter why MDF and not, say poplar (assuming that the doors are painted)? If your doors were softwood or hardwood I'd be suggesting miniature butt hinges - but in MDF they just pull out.

Hettich do concealed 35mm hinges that, I think go up to 32mm

Most dont do doors that thick -the door hits the frame when opening, although that is also determined by the effective hinge plate thickness.

You need 15mm cranked hinges for flush doors

I have seen some kitchen cupboards at the above measurements, the doors being 32x60mm tulip framed with 18mm MDF centres with standard hinges in a 32x60mm face frame.
The concern for me is the lack of adjustment in the hinge.
If I went down to a 22X60mm door frame out of popular with 12mm MDF inset to create the shaker look would the door be stable at 600 X 2100mm?
Thanks for the input
PC

If you like these I can tell you my method for creating them.

The first picture is of some fitted bedroom wardrobes I built. Not perfect as it was my first ever attempt on that scale, but I'm happy with the overall look and have since ran some of the door edges through the table saw. The second picture is of the kitchen cupboard I built last week. This time I perfected my method for building cupboard doors and the whole thing works beautifully. I just need some beading to go on the shelf edge and decide whether or not to paint it or stain.

IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0127.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back