Large (grooved) MDF wardrobe doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm about to replace the doors on two fitted wardrobes and was hoping for some advise.

The openings on the wardrobes measure H2350 x W1600mm and H2350 x W1240mm

My initial thoughts were to use 18 or 22mm V-grooved MDF with no reinforcement, the doors would be ~400mm wide (so as not to protrude into the room too much). The wider wardrobe would have 2 pairs of bi-folding doors (I want to avoid dividing the wardrobe), and on the narrower wardrobe there would be one set of bi-folds and a single.

I'd like some advise on the following:

- Door construction, is 18mm MDF stable enough or should I go with 22mm despite the weight penalty?
Is 800mm width ok (will be supported by folding gear)?
- Recommendations on good quality folding gear (something like a BRIO Multifold 30 perhaps, though quite expensive)?
- Hinges, what type for; A) the door to frame, and B) door to door

Many thanks and happy NY!

Sponsored Links
how are existing doors fitted?

The main doors (hollow) were sliding doors hung from a top rail with smaller hinged doors above - may have been the original fitted in 1970s when the flat was built. I removed all the original doors a few years ago when I first bought the place and was decorating. Replacing them has been a long way down the renovation list!!

The wardrobes are built into dedicated recesses and so consists of the doors, a hanging rail and high level shelf. The doors sit within a substantial frame (akin to a normal doorway).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back