MDF wardrobe door movement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please advise
I built wardrobes with eight nu. doors approx 1900 x 600
The construction of the doors is 18mm MDF with two panels cut out (one top one bottom) and a 9mm MDF
Planted on the back to create the panel and give depth to the doors
Out of four pairs of wardrobe doors three of the “left side” doors have warped approx 3/4mm and I suspect the reason to be that the sun shining through the bedroom window, south facing, in summer is catching the door edge.
With regards to pulling the doors straight Is there any mileage in routing a groove along the inside edge of the door and gluing a strip of steel in with the door clamped straight
It’s not too much of an issue at the moment but if thoughts were that it would work I’d give it a try.
It’s a bit long winded but any advice appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
are the doors painted or clad in the same material front and back ??

it is possible with planted on material iff they have different moisture levels to cause stress like this but less so with 1/3 and 2/3
i am assuming the doors are similar rather than identical so swapping the doors away from the suspect area is not an option ??

also are you sure its the door and not the carcass/frame??

Sponsored Links
It’s the doors
The other doors facing away from the window are straight that’s why I think the problem relates to the door edge facing the window /sun

not ideal but often a strong catch or two can reduce or fully pull out a small bow

Thanks big all but its not easy to fit catches

i assume its 3 to 4mm over the length off the door ??
if it really worries you i would try over twisting by screwing a baton full length with clamps or screws and start with say 20mm over twist and see what happens over a week or two

Yes it’s over the length of the doors
I had thought about what you suggest but if it worked would the problem return later on ?? That’s why I thought
what I originally wrote would be a more permanent solution
I will try what you posted as it’s the easiest option
It doesn’t really worry me I just enjoy resolving problems.
Thanks again.

there is zero chance off knowing what will happen long term
you are limited to trial and error, possible repeat actions till you get used to it 'bored with it and and put an axe through it and replace it (y)

just for the record i would not damage the old door but lean it against a wall and floor to try and take the bow out in case the new one is worse;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back