Advice on wardrobe doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! This is my first post - looking for your advice on fitted wardrobes for our bedroom. It's the first time I'm building one.

Is it possible to have two doors attached to the same vertical panel, one on each side?

Let me explain: I'm building a double wardrobe which has three vertical panels: left, middle and right. I want to know if it's good practice to have two doors which are attached to the same middle panel, instead of having two vertical panels, one door attached to each of them. I don't see the point in having two vertical panels just to attach the doors.

The panels is 18mm MDF and are 2000 high x 600 deep roughly.
The doors are 19mm gloss MRMDF 2000 x 500.

Hope this makes sense. I would very much appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
worth a thousand words

I hope this makes it clearer. Welcome your suggestions! I would much rather use a single vertical panel in the middle and attach both doors to it, on each side. Would the weight of the doors not be too much for a single vertical panel to support?

View media item 51834

Sponsored Links
you want a gap at least 3" at the bottom [i aim for the skirting height] and 2" at the top to allow for movement and scribing and allow a bit off clearance

Is it possible to have two doors attached to the same vertical panel, one on each side?
Yes, but you might need to offset the hinges vertically by 5 to 10mm to ensure that the screws don't interfere with each other (assuming that you are using cup hinges and that you aren't using 5mm euro screws to fix the cruciform baseplates)

worth a thousand words

I hope this makes it clearer. Welcome your suggestions! I would much rather use a single vertical panel in the middle and attach both doors to it, on each side. Would the weight of the doors not be too much for a single vertical panel to support?

View media item 51834

I would use two 18mm panels for strength one for each door. Using the same panel may actually stop the doors from opening properly as they would foul each other

#Using the same panel may actually stop the doors from opening properly as they would foul each other
Not is the cruciform plates are this type. availe in various offsets. Insert (offset) plates can also be made-up from 9mm MDF to compensate for the "loss" of thickness in the panel - they are inserted beneath the cruciforms

Too save timber costs I just add a 100mm wide 18mm mdf section flush to front edge to form second mounting panel, avoids the need for offset hinges and adds a little strength.

you beat me to the punch foxhole but on reflection a double bulkhead/side could ade shelf fixing 6 or 2x3!!!!

Hi everyone! This is my first post - looking for your advice on fitted wardrobes for our bedroom. It's the first time I'm building one.

Yes but you need to buy the right hinges. Use Google and search around a bit and you will find what you are looking for. Whether it is a good idea on a full height wardrobe is another matter.

Yes but you need to buy the right hinges. Use Google and search around a bit and you will find what you are looking for. Whether it is a good idea on a full height wardrobe is another matter.
I'm confused, what do you mean by the right hinges?

I'm confused, what do you mean by the right hinges?

Concealed hinges of the types used in kitchens and wardrobes come in many different types. The standard type expect a carcase for the door to close against and cover the full width of the carcase. Different thicknesses of carcase require depending on the make of hinge different hinges and/or fixing plates.

However it is possible to get what are know as half overlay hinges so that a single thickness of carcase can handle two doors, see the following page for information.

http://hingedummy.info/eurohingefaqpage.htm#howdoiknowifmyhinge

Thus a half overlay hinge would be the "right" hinges as opposed to full overlay or inset hinges which would be the wrong hinges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back