MDF mirrored doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Having received some exorbitant quotes for panelled MDF doors from a few manufactures, I've decided to partially-build my own (for a walk-in-wardrobe).

I'm planning to buy some of the attached shaker-style doors (simply to save time), then add some beading onto the internal edges of each panel for decoration, and then glue a 4mm-thick mirror into each panel.

The 18mm doors will be thick enough to support euro-style hinges.

Anything else I need to consider or anything I've got glaringly wrong!?

I'd also like the chamfer the external edges. What's the best way of doing this with MDF?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104-111856.png
    Screenshot_20210104-111856.png
    1,012 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would add the beading AFTER the mirror, I used my local glazier to cut mirror for a similar project and it's very close, but not perfect.
The beading can hide any gaps. You'd need to calculate the combined depth of mirror/adhesive/beading before you order the doors.

That's a great point that I hadn't considered, and is obviously the way to go, however...

A 12mm back door panel, and 6mm shaker side panels, would leave an impossible 2mm for the beading, if we have to use a 4mm mirror

I'll have to reconsider sizing!

Sponsored Links
You can get a ready made mirror door quite reasonable from IKEA, bought a few cheap second hand last year for a friend on Social media .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back