1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

MDF mirrored doors

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by potato80, 4 Jan 2021.

1. potato80

potato80

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

Having received some exorbitant quotes for panelled MDF doors from a few manufactures, I've decided to partially-build my own (for a walk-in-wardrobe).

I'm planning to buy some of the attached shaker-style doors (simply to save time), then add some beading onto the internal edges of each panel for decoration, and then glue a 4mm-thick mirror into each panel.

The 18mm doors will be thick enough to support euro-style hinges.

Anything else I need to consider or anything I've got glaringly wrong!?

I'd also like the chamfer the external edges. What's the best way of doing this with MDF?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: 4 Jan 2021
  2. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would add the beading AFTER the mirror, I used my local glazier to cut mirror for a similar project and it's very close, but not perfect.
    The beading can hide any gaps. You'd need to calculate the combined depth of mirror/adhesive/beading before you order the doors.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. potato80

potato80

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's a great point that I hadn't considered, and is obviously the way to go, however...

A 12mm back door panel, and 6mm shaker side panels, would leave an impossible 2mm for the beading, if we have to use a 4mm mirror

I'll have to reconsider sizing!

5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can get a ready made mirror door quite reasonable from IKEA, bought a few cheap second hand last year for a friend on Social media .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sponsored Links