hinges on 12mm mdf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HOW CAN I ATTACH HINGES TO 12MM MDF. WHEN I TRY TO SCREW VERY SMALL SCREWS INTO THE BOARD IT SPLITS IN TWO? THE DOORS ARE 3FT BY 4FT .

Sponsored Links
Not really a good idea to screw into the ends of mdf, can't you use a decorative 'T' hinge on the face instead?

Thanks Stric, Im screwing into the face of the MDF near the edge and when the screw is about half-way through, the back-side of the wood splits away. regards.

Okay, have you drilled pilot holes? if yes have you drilled them deep enough? If yes again then you are unlucky, options are: drill pilot holes right through and place a batton on the back get longer screws so they go into the batton aswell for extra strength. or drill right through and use bolts instead, you can get bolts that look like screws from the front. That is ofcourse presuming we are talking about cupboard doors and you are not going to notice what it looks like from the other side? Any use?

Sponsored Links
dependant on screw size [i dont recomend bigger than no6] use 3mm or 3.2[1/8th"]
avoid 1" from the end countersink the full length screw in the last two turns by hand do not over tighten you can support the sides with blocks and clamps when screwing in but not essential unless near the edge

if it does split hold the split open a bit force in some wood glue clamp the sides leave till dry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back