MDF Wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to build some MDF fitted wardrobes. I was going to build them using an Ikea style with 12mm MDF. I have a couple of questions:
Is 12mm strong enough? I want to hang sliding doors from the front.
Can you buy the Ikea type fittings to join? Are they better than just using a screw?

Sponsored Links
12mm is too thin, use 18mm MDF or MFC (melamine faced chipboard)

By Ikea fittings I assume you mean cam & dowel fixings or a similar KD fixing. They are used to make it easy for assembly by people with few tools. You would be better off using dowels or biscuits with carcase screws.

Jason

Jasonb said:
12mm is too thin, use 18mm MDF or MFC (melamine faced chipboard)

I hadn't thought of using MFC. I thought that wasn't fashionable any more. What are the relative advantages of MDF vs. MFC?

For a start don't use "conti board" get a decent 18mm board from a maker like Egger, They do a range of woodgrains etc.

MDF is OK if you want a painted finish but MFC comes pre finished and requires no further work. Then again you cam use MFC for carcases and MDF or solid timber for the frame/doors. Have a look at a few of mine

Jason

Sponsored Links
I give it two coats of Dulux Trade quick drying primer/undercoat then two of oil based eggshell, if customer wants gloss then one oil undercoat and one oil top coat.

Make sure you rub down between coats, I us e180g silicon carbide paper on the first coat then 320 on the second and then just a worn 320 to remove any dust from the first oil coat. A 4" foam roller makes quick work of large areas, you can leave as is or lay off with a brush to remove the slight stipple left by the roller.

Jason

wow jasonb very impressive woodwork. i need to construct a 'alcove' cupboard either side of a fireplace with shelves above and have no idea where to start. do u have anywhere that gives good step by step instructions of know how much it would cost to have done by someone else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back