Sliding Wardrobe Doors - Material Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just built a set of sliding wardrobe doors (approx 500mm x 2000mm each) out of 12mm MDF. They were finished with some fancy wallpaper that the wife liked.

The fitted perfectly, but now after a week they have a massive bow in them. I'm assuming that the problem is either the wet wallpaper paste making the MDF go 'soggy' or just the tension created in the panel as the paste dries.

I need to reamke them, and will probably use 18mm something, but would ply be better than MDF?

Sponsored Links
12mm is a bit on the thin side, I'd have gone with 18mm and made sure that all the faces and edges were well sealed before installation. If you need it Hafele do sell a tensioning rod system for tall doors to prevent/correct this, but it only works with 18 to 22mm doors I believe

Scrit

ok 20% chance of working :D ;)

take the door off
lay with batton top and bottom leave alone till the bow falls out

paste and paper the other side in the same fashoin and if it dosnt work :cry:

then throw abuse at me for waisting your time ;)

Maybe glue/screw another sheet on the back for strength? Some 6 or 9mm ply might do it. Flatten it out first though using above suggested techniques.

If it doesn't work throw some abuse at big-all, he loves the abuse :evil:

Sponsored Links
Can't I just throw some abouse anyway?!

Thanks people, I'll give it a try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back