Floor to ceiling sliding doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of creating a cupboard with sliding doors, floor-to-ceiling height, flat front, painted. Width just under 3m, so 3 or 4 doors total.

Top hung sliding runners are obtainable but what's the best door to use?

Would single sheets of 22 or 25mm MR MDF be ok, or too heavy and likely to warp?.

Perhaps a sandwich of say 9mm mdf/ply 22mm softwood frame 9mm mdf/ply (but would need to attempt to get it dead flat somehow).

Could buy door blanks, cut and re-lip, but would probably need to be 2440 X 1220 ones to start with which are probably too heavy for me to shift around and work with.

Companies offering made to measure sliding doors seem to be metal frames and look very wardrobe like (these will be in a hall).

Any ideas on the best approach?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They look really nice, but what I really want for this purpose is a paintable flat slab front and haven't seen any off the shelf ones that don't look like wardrobe doors.

Sponsored Links
They look really nice, but what I really want for this purpose is a paintable flat slab front and haven't seen any off the shelf ones that don't look like wardrobe doors.
Unlikely to find something like that since most would consider it rather ugly , so no point in them being produced .If you want to make your own a floor mounted system would be needed to take the weight of huge mdf panels ( which painted are likely to bow) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back