12mm MDF wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Iv made a bit of a booo booo iv made a waderobe/cub out of 12mm MDF and tryed to use EASY MOUNT HINGES to try and match the conceled hinges on the 18mm cubs in the rest of the house, they are utter crap and cant find anything else like them they dont adjust as good.
my question is can i add a strip to the inside of the door or frame to use conceled hinges or will the doors not close flush? im open to ideas please help and thanks

Sponsored Links
Should have used 18mm, but you should be able to glue and pin internal timber to fix hinges.Though I would replace with 18mm mdf.

i know lesson learnd never again and il never use those hinges again

will it not affect the swing of the door thats what im worried about

would 18mm doors work with 12mm frame?

If you use kitchen style hinges then the thickness of the sides does not affect the closing though they would need extra strip of timber or mdf to build them out sufficient to take screws.

Sponsored Links
will it not affect the swing of the door thats what im worried about

If you make the door up to 18mm thick where the hinges go, then cut them in, they will work. Any thicker and the hinge plates will need to be set back further into the carcass which will cause the door to bind. Any thinner and you risk coming through the face of the door when drilling out for the hinges.

im thinking now il change the doors for 18mm to stop bowing aswell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back