Right thickness of MDF?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a cupboard and shelves built into a recess, the framework of both the shelves and the cupboard is 19mm x 38mm softwood batten with 12mm MDF shelves and cupboard doors. Each door is 814mm high by 342mm wide. and is supported by 2 small brass hinges secured with 12mm long wood screws into the side of the door. The whole thing was painted with MDF primer and Dulux Satinwood.
The doors have now started sagging on their hinges and have warped. The shelves also appear to have started bowing (about 2mm in the middle) even though there is very little weight on them.
I am no MDF expert but it does seem to me that a thicker MDF would have been more suitable for this project. Please could someone advise if the correct materials have been used.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I would have gone with 18mm MR MDF for the doors and at least 18mm for the shelves depending on the span.

Also 12mm long screws into the edge of 12mm boad is asking for trouble, long (25mm plus) thin screws into pilot holes are whats needed to get a bite into the edge "grain" without splitting the board.

The sagulator will give the correct shelf thickness

Jason

Sorry, but you've been sold a pup!

Jason is quite right. 18mm MR MDF should have been used thoughout. MR means moisture resistant, and although not essential for its MR characteristics, it is far tougher and gives a better finish. Most pros use it as a matter of course.

I would never use butt hinges on MDF unless I was able to use at least 25mm screws. Much better are cranked concealed hinges which sit in a 35mm hole drilled in the back of the door - like kitchen door hinges but designed for in-frame doors.

Cheers
Don

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back