Warping MDF doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just made a fitted cupboard with sliding doors of 18mm MDF (about 600mm wide by 2300mm high) using a Henderson top hung double track. Everything looked very good but the middle one of the 3 doors is now warping. The MDF is still untreated though it will have several coats of sealer, primer, paint etc.

I think I have clearance to reverse the door to solve the immediate issue but is this a known problem with MDF? I thought the stuff was not supposed to warp. The middle of the door has moved about 10mm in less than a week. The room is a well ventilated bedroom with little or no moisture.

Thanks for your comments.

Sponsored Links
AllI can think of is that piece of MDF was damp in the middle and has now dried out.It might pay to lay the door flat on the floor bend upwards and put some weight on it ,even going as far as to putting a thin piece of wood between the door and the floor,top and bottom just to counteract any "springback" in the door

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back