mdf door with pine trim no warped. is it fixable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I made a lovely mdf door with a pine trim (pine trim is about 90mm by 18mm) all the way around the edge of the door. It is now warped at both ends, ie it does not lie flat in the frame. Is there any way I can fix this without having to make a new one??

Sponsored Links
You won't be able to pull MDF flat again unfortunately (unless you can put some substantial braces on the back side) - the secret with this stuff is to make sure its always completely dry, and has a paint or sealing coat applied to both sides. :)

how much is it warped !!

assuming its purly one edge and its say 5mm you can try magnetic catches if the movement has just started this will pull it back slightly and can hold off further movement

if the sutable consider flipping the door or moving the hinges accross so the warped side so it is better supported

i am assuming the panel is inset or in a rebate and around 6mm thick!!!!!

I only painted on one side. the mdf is 18mm thick. I am tempted to remove the pine that i think warped it in the first place and place a straight new piece to the door and lie the door flat with some weights on for a week or so then re hang on the other side and paint both sides.

thanks for the help so far!

Sponsored Links
If you have glued the pine trim on face of the MDF then you will need to place a balancing trim on the opposite side. By applying the trim to one side only you have placed the core in this case MDF under-tension and thus causing it to warp. It’s the same principle when you laminate or veneer a board you always need to put a balancing laminate or veneer on the opposite side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back