36.6kw boiler and central heating pump speed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have looked into this by searching but asking the question too to see what the general feedback is.

I have a largish bungalow (dormer, approx 210sqm) with a ideal mexico 2 36kw boiler with open vented y-plan system. Stat in living room and TRV's on all rads (except a bypass rad).

On pump speed setting 2, I found the boiler would often fire for a very short period quite frequently and didnt seem long enough to possibly contribute any heat to the rads. I suspect this was because the water inside the boiler would get upto temp (setting 5 of 6) before the heat could be shifted away from the boiler so experimented by turning up to setting 3 and sure enough boiler seems to stay on longer, and rads get very hot very quickly.

I should add that on setting 2, all the rads got hot except for one which is the furthest I think, and on setting 3 this rad is definately hotter.

So, is it OK to leave pump on setting 3? I think the system is working better, but guess i'll know for sure when my bills arrive (if they are hugely increased i'll put it back to 2!! haha).

One thing I wonder is, would setting 2 work better if all the lockshields except for that one rad were throttled back a bit.. worth a try?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
You can leave it on "3" but it will be more noisy and use more power.

BUT it should not be necessary!

I suspect that your boiler is grossly over rated for your house.

How long ago was it fitted? Who chose that size?

Have you done a whole house heat loss calculation?

That size can heat a 10 bed house!

Tony

Boiler was here when we moved in. Did a heatloss calc ages ago and it wasn't wildly off, lots of large rooms etc

Anyway, no plans to change boiler.

I guess my assumption is plausible then, heat not being removed quick enough on setting 2?

Cheers

The boiler needs setting to it's minimum burner setting
so that it will heat for longer and cycle less.

Depends how many radiators you have but I would say that the system needs balancing better see the online help here about balancing to
improve the heating of radiators.

Sponsored Links
Mike listen to this!

If the boiler can heat up the rads quickly then its over powered, probably quite seriously.

Most of those older boilers can be set to a heat output of about 60% - 100% of the rated power. Yours is obviously set higher than necessary and thats inefficient when its cycling.

When its 10 C outside you need the boiler set so that once its reached the normal room temperature of 21 C the boiler is running about 50% of the time!

Tony

i don't think the question can really be answered at the moment because you haven't told us the make & model of the pump ?

Yeah its a grundfos not sure of rating, can check tomorrow as I can't get to the pump at moment.

I have had a Corgi chap look at the system, had it serviced last winter. I mentioned range rating at the time and was told not possible. Actually the response I had was probably not dissimilar had I asked him to split atoms on my dining room table.

Regarding the dial on the front, the flow temperature, can you help me understand why a low setting rather than high would help? Surely higher means longer burn duration to get water up to temp?
Edit: or is that not what is meant by "burner setting"?

Thanks all.

unless it's a small system or has a design fault ie incorrect feed & vent i always run a 15/60 on no 3

The boiler can be range-rated!

Click on the pic to enlarge it and you will see the three possible settings: Min, Mid and Max. There should be an arrow on the left pointing to the current setting. Below that it shows the burner settings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back