3phase problem

The legacy of PCBs is that before we can do work on any oil filled equipment (90% of at 11kV) it must be tested for the presence of them!
If they are found (and they can be) we cannot drain them down to mix with our stocks (obviously) or to go for recycling.
Transporting the equipment from site is an expensive nightmare as well owing to Environment agency rules.

One of the biggest sources can be power faction correction capacators

Sponsored Links
Thank you guy's for all the advice.

It was the dashpots being low on oil. I unscrewed them, filled with 3 in 1, pressed start and off she went.

We still have to replace the single phase 3 core flex for 4 core 3 phase, but it works, so thanks.
Steve.

It was the dashpots being low on oil. I unscrewed them, filled with 3 in 1, pressed start and off she went.
Glad to hear of the happy outcome. However, I wonder if, like me, you are starting 'to wonder' about...
I have just had delivered a professionally restored woodworking machine.
?

Kind Regards, John

Im more intriqued the electrician charged £40 didnt try that and opted for 150 pound to change the starter.
On a busy site that could have cost a days production.
If in doubt I would have at least phoned a freind.

Anyway happy its going and moreso for letting us know

Sponsored Links
Im more intriqued the electrician charged £40 didnt try that and opted for 150 pound to change the starter.
On a busy site that could have cost a days production.
If in doubt I would have at least phoned a friend

Or start a thread and ask on DIYNOT :)

How many present day "electricians" have ever seen one of those?

I see where your coming from but 333rocky333 is right as my electrician did mention that possibly the dash pots were dry, but thought safer to go with a new starter anyway.

I wonder, as they didn't bother to check the dashpots, what else they've ignored/forgotten. Nice coat of green paint though.
Have you checked the earth bonding to the body of the machine?

I wonder, as they didn't bother to check the dashpots, what else they've ignored/forgotten. Nice coat of green paint though. Have you checked the earth bonding to the body of the machine?
Indeed, not to mention the use of brown-blue-G/Y flex for the three phases, which doesn't really engender confidence!

Kind Regards, John

That could have been intended as a temporary measure, just to check the electrics, but a professional machine restoration company should really be familiar with older-style starters, and shouldn't be selling machines that they haven't checked properly.

That could have been intended as a temporary measure, just to check the electrics ...
I'm not sure I understand that statement - in what sense could it be regarded as 'a temporary measure' if this "professional machine restoration company" sold it to a customer in that state?
should really be familiar with older-style starters, and shouldn't be selling machines that they haven't checked properly.
Sure - I obviously agree with that, too.

Kind Regards, John

That could have been intended as a temporary measure, just to check the electrics ...
I'm not sure I understand that statement - in what sense could it be regarded as 'a temporary measure' if this "professional machine restoration company" sold it to a customer in that state?
It's appallingly incompetent, I was just speculating on what might have led them to do that, and the only marginally justifiable reason I can imagine to use single-phase flex was to check if the electrics worked, with the intention of correcting it before selling on the machine.

The more I think about it, the less I would be inclined to use that machine until it had an IR test and an earth continuity test by someone more competent than the machine refurbisher.

Why do i get the feeling that this "restorer" is a guy who does it as a sort of hobby in his garage/workshop at home?

I've met a number of companies who refurbish old machines, and without exception they have been incompetent, unsafe, and criminally negligent. They seem to think that as long as they give a machine a nice shiny coat of paint and clean the rust off the bare metal parts, they've done all that is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back