4 Downighters replacing single light, check wiring please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just bought a set of 4 mains voltage 50W halogen downlighters from Wickes for my bathroom. Currently have single eyeball (the bathroom that is) with 3 cables, I assume these are in and out ring plus 1 to pull switch. Here is my wiring solution, could someone please tell me if it is correct.
Remove eyeball and replace with 3 terminal 5 amp junction box, connect live x 3 to 1 terminal, neutral x 3 to 2nd terminal and earth x 3 to third terminal. Then take 4 x live/neutral cables to 4 downlighters from junction box.
Questions: do down lighters need earthing? no provision at downlighter connector, should the earth go to the body of the light or other metal part. What rating cable do I use from junction box to downlighter. Will the junction box be too crammed with 7 (assuming earth employed) cables going to each terminal. Maybe I should have 2 junction boxes and run 2 lights from each?

Sponsored Links
No
check which zones you intend to fit your light in
are the lights for those zones
look up lighting diagrams on this forum sticky
your proposed junction box has same purpose as a ceiling rose
remember one of your existing cables is the switch wire so both cores are live
get a 20 amp jb it will give you more room to work

Thanks Mark

Zones are Ok will take the rest of your advice!

Cheers

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back