Replacement of single light with 4 downlighters for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes: Could someone do me a simple wiring diagram for the easiest way to wire these up. Existing light has terminal block with circuit cable (black,red and earth) in and out (6 wires) plus switch cable (2 lives and earth). Should I replace this with a four way junction box, make same connections, then run live neutral and earth from junction box to first downlighter then second and so on ? Does the cable have to loop back in to the junction box or can it finish at the last downlighter like a spur? Also I have 2 zone one lights which have an earth terminal and 2 zone three which don’t, why is this? Both fittings are metal. Should I fit an earth to the zone 3 lights? they are from Wickes if that helps. Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
I'd be interested to know the answer to this one too as the downlighters in my new house (installed by previous owner) appear to have two different installations:
1) junction box to set of lights (jb - 1 - 2 - 3 - ...)
2) junction box to set of lights and then back to junction box (jb - 1 - 2 - ... - jb)

They can't both be right can they?

:eek: well I think they both could be right, but probably in different circumstances. I just want to know the correct way for my situation. Just to add my downlighters are mains voltage not LV

By the way, do your downlighters have earth connections? As far as I can tell, mine do not. I hope that's not bad.

Sponsored Links
Hi Fatty, read my original post. 2 do and 2 don’t, which I have queried.

:confused: can anyone answer the original question, is it just too stupid, not interesting enough or what, are my flies open or is it because I’m not an electrician? Thanks again

Can't comment on the earth but would have thought if the lights have earth connections they need earthing. If they don't, then they don't.

The lights can just be wired as a spur or as a star. Or both 2 feeds to 2 lights each e.g. if the JB was in the middle of the 4 lights.

Wiring back to the junction box probably isn't wrong. It is over engineered and could hide a fault in one of the cables but as this wouldn't stop the light from working who cares.

FootSore

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back