4" hole on 8" x 2" floor joist

Spot on Freddie - and a good link ;) Also possibly easier for a "competent DIY`er" to do the metalwork - @ a real push it could be done with a hacksaw inserted through a small elongated hole ,take the blade out the frame - pass through the hole and replace frame - Pillar drill would be nice for the holes . I used to do a bit of metal bashing , making brackets etc for a trike I used to have . Lifted up a drain gulley that was outside my garage ( one of those heavy iron roadside ones hinged @ the back) and used it as an anvil ;)

Sponsored Links
Get 2 bits of 3mm thick steel plate, around 600m long by 200mm high, with a (slightly larger than) 4" hole plasma cut in the middle.
Reinforce the joist by bolting either side with ,say, 4 M10s either side of the hole (150mm centres lengthways, 120mm centres on height.

Yeah that's what I would do too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back