4 quotes uni-bond or hardback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, got 4 quotes in - walls have internal rendering which is dry. 3 advise first uni- bonding, total costs (bond plus skim) varying between 220 - 240, the other quote first skim of hardback then skim at £175. Which is the best uni-bond or hardback first.

The 175 guy is on A rated site

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, got 4 quotes in - walls have internal rendering which is dry. 3 advise first uni- bonding, total costs (bond plus skim) varying between 220 - 240, the other quote first skim of hardback then skim at £175. Which is the best uni-bond or hardback first.

The 175 guy is on A rated site

Thanks

Firstly, whats hardback? Never used it, never heard of it.

If all your walls are sound and unpainted then a couple coats of pva then 2coats of finish would be ideal

sorry yes hardwall - previous skim 40% came off with paper, took rest off, a few loose spots but otherwise fine

Sponsored Links
sorry yes hardwall - previous skim 40% came off with paper, took rest off, a few loose spots but otherwise fine
would pva the patches and bonding in to bring out flush with exisiting skim coat then when bonding has set, pva the lot and skim over. Your plasterers will know this. Im presuming your meaning whats best bonding or hardwall(your slightly confusing me).

going back to the original question.. the bit about uni-bonding is refering to them pva-ing before skimming, this needs to be done anyway, im guessing the reason its listed on the quote is so that they can recoup the cost of it as part of materials.

the patching needs to be brought back out to level, bonding is fine as is hardwall, hardwall is almost twice the cost and a little overkill in my opinion

im not sure about the A rated website, ive heard that theyre not much cop to be honest but other peoples opinions will differ.

theres not a lot of difference in costs to be honest, so id go with your gut instinct and not base it on a cost difference of £40 for example... cheapest is not always best

good luck

Thanks, sorry for delay, not yet on internet so at library.

Yes - what's best bond or hardwall - it seems both are OK so I will go with my gut feelings.

My own thoughts on A rated site is open to abuse (but so are all net sites) as recommendations can be from freinds etc. Which is why I ask here as advise can be varied but the theme of replies of those who do know is pretty much the same.

Thanks.

Thanks, sorry for delay, not yet on internet so at library.

Yes - what's best bond or hardwall - it seems both are OK so I will go with my gut feelings.

Thanks.

That all depends on the construction type of your house, can't always use either of the above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back