4 way fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Something I was just curious about, why is it that 4 way fittings are not particularly common? I am talking about something like this:

15mm Copper End Feed Equal Cross 4 Way Plumbing Pipe Fitting (15mm) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BPM13WY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_a6e8CbWXAS3QN

There seems to be a lot of dubious quality looking ones on amazon and ebay, but nothing on screwfix etc. I found a website selling 4 way compression fittings, but they were £30 something pounds. Is there a reason that they aren’t in general use? Something to do with flow?

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Something I was just curious about, why is it that 4 way fittings are not particularly common?
Heating pipework (flow/return) are usually installed in close proximity to one another so it would be a tad difficult to use a cross tee, same applies with potable pipework (hot/cold), back in the day pipework was installed within notched joists so the use of a cross tee would foul the pipe running parallel to it.
Very seldom were cross fittings used, pretty common to see cross tees used on fire sprinklers.

I've always thought that a corner T would be a useful fitting... All spigots at 90° to each other. Might even exist... Never looked :)

Heating pipework (flow/return) are usually installed in close proximity to one another so it would be a tad difficult to use a cross tee, same applies with potable pipework (hot/cold), back in the day pipework was installed within notched joists so the use of a cross tee would foul the pipe running parallel to it.
Very seldom were cross fittings used, pretty common to see cross tees used on fire sprinklers.

Thanks for the explanation. What got me wondering this is my cold feed comes into my house in the kitchen and then goes straight up the wall to the combi boiler upstairs. I want to put a dishwasher on one side of the feed and a washing machine on the other. Figured a 4 way joint would be the simplest way. Guess ill just use two t joints instead, then!

Sponsored Links
or just use one of these -

images

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back