compression fittings....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was uncertain about something...

I have a brand new 2 bedroom property which has a high pressure water system (tank in loft + hot water cylinder), i.e. the mains water supply coming indoors is underneath the kitchen sink via 22mm pipes and not the standard 15mm. When measuring the pressure value on the outside tap, i obtained a value of 4 bar.

My question is, if i needed to alter any plumbing work underneath the sink, eg. to install a water softener, could I use compression fittings as a replacement for solder ring fittings? I know with some pressurised heating systems, compression joints are deemed unsuitable.

If compression joints are considered less practical, what about plastic or copper push fit fittings to replace soldered?

Sponsored Links
I would class 22mm water pipe as standard :rolleyes: not 15mm.

If you have a tank in the loft are you sure you have a mains un-vented cylinder or do you mean a f&e tank for the heating?

Yes compression fittings will be ok but unsightly.

If you have a tank in the loft are you sure you have a mains un-vented cylinder or do you mean a f&e tank for the heating?

sorry buddy, all i know is that i have a cylinder in one of the storing cupboards :oops: ill have to get someone to have a proper look for me.

to be honest, the property is new, but the pipe work is messy! soldered joints are dirty, half of the pipes have already turned green! from what i have seen, compression joints look far neater..

gas4you said:
I would class 22mm water pipe as standard :rolleyes: not 15mm.

Yes compression fittings will be ok but unsightly.

I would call 15mm a standard internal mains water pipe, a lot of new builds use 10mm for hot and cold.

I wouldnt call compression fitting under a sink which is closed off by a cupboard and out of sight due to varoius cleaning products and washing powers unsightly either.......in fact for a diy i call it common sense.

Sponsored Links
HarrogateGas said:
I would call 15mm a standard internal mains water pipe, a lot of new builds use 10mm for hot and cold.

Were talking main supply from stop cock here I think :rolleyes:

prior to stop cock = 22mm, pipework continues at 22mm after stopcock and then splits to 15mm feeding the garden tap first.

I know with some pressurised heating systems, compression joints are deemed unsuitable.

Not true for water. To me comp fittings under a sink are 100% sensible. Much easier to alter than solder if you change a tap or need an extra washing machine valve etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back