Water main fitting, compression or solder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'm just after a little advice, on my main water pipe in I have 3 soldered joints before a stop cock, so if one of these leaked I would have no way of turning the water off? Should I replace the first soldered joint with a compression fitting tap or should I leave as is?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
How would you turn the water off in order to fit the new joint? That is how you would turn the water off

I would go to the road and turn it off, but if the pipe leaked it's a bigger ball ache to go to the road than just turn the tap inside the house with a lot more water going everywhere, how long does a soldered joint last?

Sponsored Links
A properly soldered joint is considered to then be part of the pipe, that's why they are the types of copper connection that should be used where a join will not be accessible, in walls, under floors etc .
So if it is not exposed to any mechanical stresses then it should last as long as the pipe would.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back