Plastic elbow with compression fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible, or advisable, to connect a plastic elbow (solvent waste type) to a run of copper pipe that has are connected using compression fittings?

Whilst replacing the hot sink tap, I undid the compression joint that the tap tail connects to. The compression joint was stiff. I overdid it, and despite using the "two spanner" method, something gave down below.

It turned out that a plastic waste elbow had been connected to a run of copper compression fittings, to make a curving T-off for the tap supply. I think this was done for reasons of space -- its a tight fit behind the sink base unit. Building an equivalent compression T-joint would be bulky. AFAIK the plastic was connected using solvent.

Is it best for me to replace plastic with plastic? Or replace with a more bulky compression T-joint? Or will a bit of solvent and repair tape patch things up?

Sponsored Links
Well, it's been there for 20 years. And never leaked until I got to it....

Mike

Your post is a little confusing . .

Waste pipes are 35mmdia upwards (1 1/4 or 1 1/2 being common)

Water supply in domestic properties are normally 1/2-3/4 inch. Normallt 1/2 if copper.

Do you mean someone has used waste pipe in your cold water system or is it smaller plastic pipe (e.g. Durapipe was used as an alternative for copper in the 70s and had solvent weld connections - dark grey and slightly larger than copper)

Sponsored Links
Your post is a little confusing . .

(e.g. Durapipe was used as an alternative for copper in the 70s and had solvent weld connections - dark grey and slightly larger than copper)

Thats it. Dark grey, about 15mm in size. Do they still sell it?

Mike

We had a house with this but moved out of it in the early 90s. It was in Derby.

I found a supplier by going into Plumbcentre (was Yorkshire Heating then) and asking if they sold it (at the time I did not know what it was but had a short piece). They sent me over the road to another plumbers merchant who carried it.

It is still used in industry so try durapipe.co.uk, ring them up and ask who your local stockist is.

The tip with joints is absolute cleanliness and absolutely dry (no water). They see cold water pressure so need more care than solvent weld waste to avoid drips.

HI

i am sorry but i still don't understand your question :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back