4 Wires + 1 Light = Big headache!

M

mevtickin3

Hi all, first post here. I wonder if you could help me out? I've read the FAQ and stuff, but still can't figure it out.

I took a light down in the dining room, but forgot to write down where all the wires went (thinking i'd remember! :confused: ), now i've fitted the new light something really weird happens...

My garage light doesn't work unless I turn the dining room one on first!
It worked fine before so I know it's due to my cock up.

Here's what I've got:

Dining Room Switch:
wire 1: 2 reds + 1 earth

Dining Room light:
wire 2: 1 red + 1 blue + 1 earth
wire 3: 1 red + 1 blue + 1 earth
wire 4: 1 red + 1 blue + 1 earth

Garage Room Switch:

My current wire config at the dining room light is:

choc block 1: all Blues
choc block 2: all earths
choc block 3: 2 reds (both from 3-core)
choc block 4: 3 reds (1 from switch + 2 from 3-core)

my light uses neutral from block 1, earth from block 2 and live from block 3.

here's the pic:
wiring.JPG

I copied the previous setup as much as possible when I changed the light, so I think I may 1 wire in the wrong position. I've spent 2 hours looking at it, and can't figure what exactly is wrong.

Please help! :oops:

river.

Sponsored Links
OK, I think I can see where you have gone wrong, thankfully you have a twin red cable for the switch hence it is easilly distinguishable. Leave all the blues (should be black?) as they are, leave all earths as they are. From all the red and black twin and earth cables put the reds into one block along with one red from the twin red cable. Put the other red from the twin red cable in the final block. This is switched live hence connect the live from the new lamp to here, neutral to the blacks and earths together.

Got a nice piccy too now, turn the eleccy off and remove the red from the red and black cable which goes into the chock block on the left of the pic and put it in with the other three in the chock block on the right.

Sponsored Links
respect spark123!

problem solved, all went just fine and dandy. thanks very much for your help really appreciated!

river.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back