400w dimmer too much for 4 x 5w LED’s?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bought 2 single 400w dimmer switches for the lounge, one will control 4 x 5w dimmable LED’s, the other will control 6 x 5w dimmable LED’s

Guy in Screwfix said they were too much for only 4 x LED’s and mentioned Leading Edge issues, was he right?

Or will I be ok with these dimmers and LED’s?

Sponsored Links
Very likely the chap in Screwwfix was right. The label on the dimmer or the instruction / data sheet will give the minimum load requirement. Without this minimum load the dimmer will be unstable and be unable to control it's output correctly.

I would add that, even if the 'minimum power' of the dimmers were not an issue, dimming of LEDs will quite often not work (satisfactorily or at all) except with dimmers designed specifically for LEDs.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
dimming of LEDs will quite often not work

The LED elements can be easily dimmed by reducing the current driven through the elements. LED lamps have one or more LED elements and an integral driver. The integral driver determines the current through the LED element(s). If the integral driver is not designed to be dimmed then the lamps cannot be dimmed. Attempts tp dim it will result in odd and unpredictable light output from the LED elements. In some cases the operation of the integral driver when supplied from a dimmer may be so unstable as to damage ( over current ) the LED elements.

Thanks all, got 2 trailing edge dimmer switches to go with the dimmable LED’s (I got 6000k cool white)

Fitted them this afternoon, all working fine and looks bl00dy great!

Thanks again gents

PS: will be planning garden lighting soon, so expect a load of questions about that at some point...

Thanks all, got 2 trailing edge dimmer switches to go with the dimmable LED’s (I got 6000k cool white) Fitted them this afternoon, all working fine and looks bl00dy great!
I'm pleased to hear that.
PS: will be planning garden lighting soon, so expect a load of questions about that at some point...
Fair enough. When you have such questions, try to remember to make it clear what UK country you are in - the bureaucracy regarding outdoor electrics is very different in Wales (as compared with England), and most of us know little about Scotland!

Kind Regards, John

Is it plucky little Scotland, or a faraway country with people of whom we know nothing? I get confused about who may not have which referenda because they aren't able to understand the issues involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back