Buzzing GU10 LEDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We've just had our kitchen relocated and have 2 banks of 9 GU10 Lap Dimmable 5W bulbs from Screwfix. I already have a set of these bulbs in our old kitchen and have been impressed with their output.

The new kitchen has these leds
controlled by a Varilight V-Pro Trailing Edge 3 gang dimmer switch: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIJSI103.html. 2 gangs each control 9 leds and the 3rd gang controls a standard lightbulb.

The issue I have is that all the leds are buzzing whatever the brightness setting. It's not really loud but it's loud enough to be annoying. There is no flickering. Also, I don't believe they are getting up to full brightness - I'm sure the ones in our kitchen are brighter ( they aren't on a dimmer).

I cannot stand the buzzing and I was under the impression that an LED compatible trailing edge dimmer switch would ensure there was no buzzing. The dimmer switch cost a lot of money too :(

Any idea what is causing the buzzing?

Many thanks for your time and help.

BB.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All dimmers buzz to a certain extent, and 'full' isn't the same as being on with a normal switch either. Both of these effects are inevitable with any dimmer, although some are better than others.

The dimmer has several driving modes, have you tried all of them?

95 times out of 100 it is an inductor ( transformer or choke ) where the coils are able to vibrate. Coating the coil with an expoxy resin or similar will prevent the coil from vibrating. 5 times out of 100 it is a piece of magnetic metal close to an inductor and the metal is vibrating.

BritishBeef said:
The dimmer switch cost a lot of money too :(
High price is not sign of high quality.

Not encapsulating the coils in resin saves a few pence and avoid the delay to production while the resin sets before the coil can be used.

Sponsored Links
All dimmers buzz to a certain extent, and 'full' isn't the same as being on with a normal switch either. Both of these effects are inevitable with any dimmer, although some are better than others.

The dimmer has several driving modes, have you tried all of them?
Just to be clear, the dimmer switch itself is silent. It's the bulbs that are humming.
According to the instructions this dimmer has two modes - trailing edge and leading. I tried leading edge and the bulbs wouldn't even come on!

95 times out of 100 it is an inductor ( transformer or choke ) where the coils are able to vibrate. Coating the coil with an expoxy resin or similar will prevent the coil from vibrating. 5 times out of 100 it is a piece of magnetic metal close to an inductor and the metal is vibrating.

BritishBeef said:
The dimmer switch cost a lot of money too :(
High price is not sign of high quality.

Not encapsulating the coils in resin saves a few pence and avoid the delay to production while the resin sets before the coil can be used.
The dimmer switch is silent - it's the LEDs that are buzzing.

The dimmer switch is silent - it's the LEDs that are buzzing.
If they are 230 v LED lamps then there will be a switched moder current source driver in them to control the current through the LED elements. That driver will have at least one inductor.
Matching the type of dimmer to the type of driver can reduce the intensity of the buzz but may never remove all of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back