40mm pipe to 110mm pipe opposite sides of single storey building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to install a shower one side and the toilet the other, so I need to join the two wastes together. It is best to extend the 110mm to the outflow of the 40mm and join up there with a 40/110mm adaptor?

Does it matter where the stub stack with AAV will be - assuming I just need the one (presumably on the side that means it is less visually intrusive which will be the shower side).

It needs to flow to a septic/wastewater tank (not installed yet)

Sponsored Links
How wide is the building? Regs limit you to max 3m run of 40mm, so you would probably be bets to run 110mm to a suitable point, (underfloor?), and drop into that with the 40mm.

Is there an open vent elsewhere on the drainage system?

Hi, yes its more than 3m so I will drop into 110mm as it goes underground (this is all external grassed area) and go around to join up the stub-stack.

For the open vent I was intending to install the stub-stack with an AAV (sited behind the toilet)

That is my point, an AAV is an 'Air Admittance Valve', it will let air in, but wont let any positive pressure out.

Septic tanks need to breathe, if you effectively seal the system with an AAV, any pressure build up will look for the easy way out. Have know one blow back via a WC, the result wasn't pretty. I spent the rest of that morning fitting a vent on the pipework...

Sponsored Links
For the open vent I was intending to install the stub-stack with an AAV (sited behind the toilet)
AS @Hugh Jaleak mentions, you need an open vent, an AAV isn't an open vent, it's a one way valve. Usually you would vent the main soil pipe by taking it up and out over the gutter line of your roof ( just so the smells don't invade your space) run either internally or externally.

Ah okay, I could have saved some money with the AAV.

The septic tank is an old style concrete thing with flags over the top, so well ventilated.

Ah okay, I could have saved some money with the AAV.

The septic tank is an old style concrete thing with flags over the top, so well ventilated.
Are the flags over the whole of the tank or are there two chambers with flags over the second which is how I built a few in the 70's?
First chamber was holding and had concrete top, the second which was filled with filter medium had flags on top for aerobic treatment?

Last edited:
@lo
Are the flags over the whole of the tank or are there two chambers with flags over the second which is how I built a few in the 70's?
First chamber was holding and had concrete top, the second which was filled with filter medium had flags on top for aerobic treatment?

its flags over the whole lot, with two chambers - so sounds like the ones you have built previous. Yes it is old but doesn't output into a stream/ditch so compliant with 2020 regs (despite what I am being told by salesmen of waste water treatment plants)

@lo

its flags over the whole lot, with two chambers - so sounds like the ones you have built previous. Yes it is old but doesn't output into a stream/ditch so compliant with 2020 regs (despite what I am being told by salesmen of waste water treatment plants)
Building inspector of the time wouldnt allow flags over the first chamber it had to be concreted over with inspection cover and one way vent to let air in to carry gasses up the soil pipe. I suppose flags weren't considered safe enough given there was a 7 drop into 6 foot of effluent beneath them.Yours must be quite early or not quite so keen a BI.

Went to empty one once, lady gave me directions to it's location in the garden. I couldn't find it, turned out I was standing on top of it. Some of the slabs had fallen in, so it had asbestos roofing sheets laid over the gaps, and the whole lot was covered in leaves. I was standing on one of those sheets it aspired, was absolute sheer luck I didn't go straight through it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back