40mm to 32 mm reducer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Just a quick question if anyone can help:

I've to connect the following 32 mm flexible waste pipe to a 40mm waste drain pipe in a restricted space under floor board:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-flexcon1-flexible-connector-white-white-32mm/38473
JBhhw3f.jpg

JBhhw3f.jpg

Is there a compression or push-fit fitting that adapts a 32mm waste fitting to a 40mm waste pipe?
Something along the lines of following would be good but this one adapts a 40mm push-fit waste fitting to accept 32mm push-fit waste pipe
ZMq6mVB.jpg

https://www.wickes.co.uk/FloPlast-WP38W-Push-Fit-Waste-Reducer---White-40mm-x-32mm/p/431911
ZMq6mVB.jpg

Your quick help would be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-10_7-54-26.png
    upload_2019-6-10_7-54-26.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 85
  • upload_2019-6-10_7-55-10.png
    upload_2019-6-10_7-55-10.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 125
  • upload_2019-6-10_7-55-43.png
    upload_2019-6-10_7-55-43.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 89
  • upload_2019-6-10_7-57-39.png
    upload_2019-6-10_7-57-39.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I agree NotSoNewBoy, solvent weld is ideal, do they do small tubes for just a few applications of solvent weld (the whole bottle would go waste otherwise)?

The link that you sent would not help me unfortunately. The 32mm compression fitting is same as that on the 32mm flexi drain pipe, so it will need a 32mm pipe between them. Space is not a luxury at the moment where this is going in.

Last edited:
If the "40" mm pipe below flooring is Solvent weld ( ABS) pipe , push fit fittings will not be compatible. You either use a compression reducer or solvent weld fittings. Why can't you use newboys suggested reducer ?

Sponsored Links
Hi terryplumb, if I have to use the compression fitting that notsonewboy suggested, I would need to insert a small 32mm pipe to attach the flex waste pipe with the compression fitting. Please check the first image in my original post and compare it to the compression fitting:
mnVccjK.jpg

Use the adapter to convert to the 40mm and then the compression end of the flexi pipe takes a small piece of 32mm pipe, that then fits into the compression end of the basin trap.

Or get one of these if a flexi is really needed

images

The 40 mm end of the fitting goes onto the pipe below floor ,the spigot end of the flexi goes into the other end. The compression end of your flexi goes onto your 32mm pipe. Where do you think a small piece of pipe goes ?

Ok, I see why we are not on same page. Unfortunately, this is not a standard shower tray that I am connecting the flex pipe to. The "32mm pipe end" of flexi is already connected to the shower cubicle (please don't ask me why or how:sneaky:).

So this is the bit I need to connect under the floor board to 40 mm pipework:
9qwKS84.jpg

OK ,unconventional to say the least !! Small piece of 32 mm pipe required to the reducer then.

I think the only option is go for solvent weld due to lack of space. Do they do any small quantity of solvent weld cement?

Yes you can buy a small tube , but price wise they are not much cheaper. Are you sure the 40 mm pipe is suitable for solvent welding ?

I believe so. They are several other solvent welds in place and its the thick Gray colour one. I thought they support solvent weld:)

Any links for the small tube please? The bottled solvent solidifies after some time anyway!

The thick grey stuff can also be polypropylene which would be push fit, are there glued fittings on the same pipe? You need to check suitability.

The thick grey stuff can also be polypropylene which would be push fit, are there glued fittings on the same pipe? You need to check suitability.

This is why I love Compression and Push fit, so easy to work out then and there. With solvent, I've to wait for 12 hours before I can test!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back