4m long Aluminium Transition Strip? [Laminate to Carpet]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I'm struggling to find such a transition strip. I really hadn't wanted to butt shorter strips together. Does such a product exist?

Secondly, the 10mm laminate floor I've installed is intended to be 'floating', and gaps have been left around all the edges (with skirting installed later). How should closely should the laminate butt up to the threshold strip? I'm assuming a gap of a few mm will suffice here? I'm also hoping that I can push the strip down (not tightly, but fully) over the laminate so that dirt / dust doesn't accumulate under it, but at the same time the laminate can still expand and shrink a little without being 'pinned' by the strip.

Thanks for any expert advice.

Sponsored Links
If it's on the end of the boards there's not so much expansion on the length of the boards so it can be a little tighter, if it's on the width then you'll need to allow as much as you can.

I am not aware of any manufacturers of 4m long transitions, I think CAT max out at 2.7m as do Stairrods UK with their metal nosings (we use their Doublez profiles adapted to Z profiles quite a bit), lots of Laminate suppliers are reducing their lengths which makes things more awkward still.

We have run the main profile in the center before to push the join pieces to the outside edges.

Treadplates UK may be able to put something together for you, I'm not sure if they can go as long as 4m though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks crazydaze - very helpful pointers and tips.

As per Foxhole's post, if the company that supplies that cover plate can supply a right angle edge profile to fit the carpet against in 4m long, that may work for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back