Laminate flooring transition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I've recently refurbished my bathroom and am in the process of sorting the flooring out. Initially I was going to tile the floor, so I put 6mm plywood over the floorboards (and fitted the cupboards over the top). However, I've now decided that I'm going to use laminate flooring specifically for bathroom use. If I did this, it's going to mean that the floor is going to be really high, when compared to the landing area, which will eventually be carpeted, but is currently just floorboards. Should I remove the plywood, or keep it. If I kept it, are there any transition strips that would cater for such a height difference?

Sponsored Links
You can raise the carpet in the Hallway with Stairrods Easy Shims, specifically designed for helping the carpet meet raised floor surfaces. Personally I'd be fitting sheet vinyl of perhaps an LVT like Amtico/Karndean if I was confident in the level of my ply and in the use of applying microcoat and trowling flooring adhesives.

Perfect, thanks for that crazydaze. I wasnt aware of such a product on the market, but that looks like itll work a treat. The only slight problem I foresee, is that the doorway in question has a bedroom door next to it at a 90degree angle, and that will be carpetted to the same level as the landing, therefore my shim will need to slope on 2 sides i guess. Anyway- food for thought.

As for the Karndean- ive considered it, but ive already spent a fortune on the bathroom, and ive found a suitable laminate which will do, and which is easy to lay and cost effective. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tey do corner shims as well that may help you.

Look at nice quality sheet vinyl, its a million times better than even a few years ago and hugely cheaper than LVT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back