50mm decking frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my projects this summer is to replace our rotten decking. I've taken up a couple of the old planks and it's obvious why it rotted - the frame is resting directly on what looks like the hardcore foundations of a former patio. In some place it's directly on dirt.

The problem I have is that I need to keep the top of the new frame within that 100mm (4") for the new decking to fit with the patio doors. Any taller and the doors would not open.

I don't want to have to dig through hardcore and fit a large amount of posts, so what I was thinking was to use the 50-80mm adjustable plastic rises and 50x50mm pressure treated joists. I read that this would be ok if I use a post every 50cm instead of every 75cm if I had the 100x50mm wood.

A couple of friends mentioned the words trampoline and said it would not last. Does anyone here know if that is the case? How about if I used the 100x50mm on its side but keeping the closer 50cm posts (though I bet you can't get joist hangers like that).

Or should I be doing something entirely different. This is quite a big deck and I really don't think that digging and filling 100 post holes is practical

Sponsored Links
why not post pics?
from what you say, if you are using any kind of timber then i think your friends were correct.

you could use any of a variety of plastic/composite joists etc.

but tight to the wall, & coming level with the door threshold means you've could have bridged any DPC?
or splash can cause damp problems, & water stains.
it depends on such factors as cavity walls, solid or suspended floors, blocked cavities and any render?

i dont understand twitter i'm afraid.

what you propose seems fine on the face of it but, thing is, before i can see a pic there's not much more i can say.

Sponsored Links
Click on the link and it will show you the photo, but I don't think the photo will help much. I'm not sure where the discussion about making the house damp came in

the boards in use are ideal for decks - you could use similar boards as deck joists if you allow the deck to come a little lower than it is now.
perhaps you can source heftier composite joist materials?
16" centres are all you need.

the photo doesnt show the edge of the deck at the house wall.
but, ignore the info ref possible damp bridging if you want.

Last edited:
One of my projects this summer is to replace our rotten decking. I've taken up a couple of the old planks and it's obvious why it rotted - the frame is resting directly on what looks like the hardcore foundations of a former patio. In some place it's directly on dirt.

The problem I have is that I need to keep the top of the new frame within that 100mm (4") for the new decking to fit with the patio doors. Any taller and the doors would not open.

I don't want to have to dig through hardcore and fit a large amount of posts, so what I was thinking was to use the 50-80mm adjustable plastic rises and 50x50mm pressure treated joists. I read that this would be ok if I use a post every 50cm instead of every 75cm if I had the 100x50mm wood.

A couple of friends mentioned the words trampoline and said it would not last. Does anyone here know if that is the case? How about if I used the 100x50mm on its side but keeping the closer 50cm posts (though I bet you can't get joist hangers like that).

Or should I be doing something entirely different. This is quite a big deck and I really don't think that digging and filling 100 post holes is practical
You could rest it on some plastic decking, won’t rot in contact with ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back