building wooden decking balcony on steel frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a small balcony on a flat roof; I have had a galvanised steel frame for this built and installed; I will be attaching wooden decking to this for the floor area.

To do this I will be first attaching 4"x2" joists/battens to the steel frame, and then screwing the decking to those battens.

Question - does the decking need to be raised above the steel frame where it crosses it?
ie Should I fix the 4x2 battens so that the decking will lie directly on top of the steel frame where it crosses it, or should I fix the battens so that the decking will be raised (say 10mm) above the steel frame so there is no contact. ie does it matter if the decking is directly in contact with galvanised steel frame; is that likely to encourage rotting?

Sponsored Links
I would say it's best to run another timber bearer onto the steel with gutter bolts then decking on top saving you having to drilling into the steel for each decking. Also a bonus would be that the timber is pressured treated such as forest pine which is guarantee against rot/decay for 15 yrs, you could also run a sealant on the bottom of the bearer to prevent rain underneath.

thanks, thats useful,

Another question - is it necessary to build in a 1:100 gradient into a decking to allow for rain water run off or does that not really matter?

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's a good idea to keep the rain off it. Just make sure it's not level ;)

Ideally the decking timber grooves running away unless the decking timber is flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back