Building a fwooden rame round a steel bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a steel bath and the plumber has plumbed it in. However I now have to build a wooden frame round it. The wall it is going against is lathe and plaster - more like lathes than plaster- I got the room re plastered but the plaster stops just above the bath. When I build the wooden frame should it go all the way round the bath or just at the side where the bath panel will be fixed. Grateful for for any advice ... Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the bath is stable then just build a panel frame.

The silicon sealant used along the edges will normally cure any creaking sounds the bath makes when in use.

I know some plumbers put a baton all the way around the lip to stop movement, but as its a steel bath I would suck it and see so to speak.

When you seal it a good ip is to half fill it with water before you seal the edges, it stops the sealer moving when you first use the bath

uktony said:
When you seal it a good ip is to half fill it with water before you seal the edges, it stops the sealer moving when you first use the bath
if you have a steel bath you do not need to fill it with water unless you are extremely heavy ie over 18 stone if the bath has been installed properly there should be no movement. If you are fitting an acrylic bath my advice would be to run a baton lip against all the walls the bath is to be fitted to to stop any movement. if you half fill the bath before you seal it you are creating the opposite affect to cracking it and squashing the mastic.Do the job properly and run the baton. do not use cheap sanitary mastic go for a known brand

Sponsored Links
i also have just bought a steel bath, and hadn't even thought about a frame, is this needed and if so , why ? thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back