Fixing steel bath to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I've used this forum as a point of reference for many months and have generally always found the answer I need.

This time however, I'm stuck.

Just bought a new pressed steel bath (kaldewei) which came with 4 feet but no other fixings for the wall.

The bath is to be sited against a tiled, floor to ceiling wall, and I'm stuck as to which mechanical fixings I should use to fix the bath to the wall.

The old bath had small elbow brackets screwed to the wooden frame running around the bath, and then to the wall. My new bath does not have such a frame.

Any advice gratefully received.

Onions

Sponsored Links
There should be fixing holes in the feet of the bath, use these to fix to the floor, with that & the weight of the bath it shouldn't go far.

If it isn't on show i.e. ball and claw feet and all that fancy stuff, wedge a noggin from the floor at the front to the underside of the side rail at the back, both tap end and foot end.

Recess into wall, masking tape round bath and spray expanding foam around where it sits into wall. Afterwhich if an elephant sat on the edge of it it wouldn't move. Cut foam back square to wall with knife later, tile over then silicone the junction betwixed tiles and bath, and the kitchen or the flat downstairs will be eternally greatful to you.

Thanks to both Keego and Paul Barker, but, I'm afraid I haven't been clear enough.

The bath feet do not have screw fixings, simply small height adjustable feet.

The problem is: I am trying to establish suitable mechanical fixings to fix the bath to the walls.

In other words, how do i fasten my steel bath to the tiled wall?

Is the best way to create a frame within the inner rim of the bath and use simple elbow fixings, and if so, how best to fix the timbers to the steel bath?

It might sound crazy, but, that's the problem I'm facing!!

Cheers,

Onions.

Sponsored Links
To clamp metal bath to wall:

Use a bit of wood and a long screw. Put the wood (say 2 x 1 x 6 inches, or ply) up under the bath, top end against the flat horizontal part of the bath wherever you can reach it, and against (sideways) the downturned rim of the bath. With its lower end against the wall the bit of wood will be sloping out at the top.

Put a long screw though it just below the edge of the bath, into the wall. Tricky at the tap end once the taps & pipes are in.
If you silicone or gripfill the bath to the wall then clamp it as described, it won't move.

Update - gripfill lets go if it gets wet, but thewre are plenty more even better syringe glues now which are definitely waterproof.

This is turning into a Jasper Carrot "there is only one way to get rid of a mole" sketch.

Just use yer commone sense and clamp the bnleep bleep bleep thing to the wall.

i would have thought silicone applied properly as usual was the way to go

ok alternative idea take a large piece of wood 1" bigger than the distance between the wall and the rim off the bath
and either cut out a slot for the rim or fix a bit on the top to sit behind the rim to hold it firm at least one inch thick
position where it will be at the correct hight with a full bath screw to wall then put loads off silicone along the top off the wood and place the bath into position sitting on the ledge

Simply very carfully drill a hole undrneath the bath rim in as many places that you can get acess to then screw through the bath into the wall. But go out and buy some good quality metal drill bits start with a small one to get the hole started then use one to fit your screw.

mine came with little steel brackets that hooked under the edge of the bath, and screw to the wall, You recess them into the plaster for a smooth finish. I'm not a plumber so I'm surprised it's not standard.

I suppose it would be possible to bash a bit of steel strip to shape if there's nothing of the shelf. I'd try the bath shop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back