6" pillar @ side of garage door......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys...the opening/bit of blockwork between my garage door and the house is only to be 6"...im wondering if i should build this up with block or is there a pillar/column/lintel on its side? that i should use instead..especially as this will be supporting a lintel with a few courses of blocks overhead the door.
(i bought the garage door before i realised i need to put in cavity wall and hence lost 8" of space)
...oh its a sectional door so cant be made smaller!
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
I would say build it up in block laid flat 9 ",and block bond it into the house (chop out holes every other course) to give it some strength .If you need a cavity wall width try using some foundation trench blocks.

Cheers mikric,
I was hoping to be able to insulate this 6" wall as i have spent a lot on a very good insulated garage door.
If i put blocks on the flat i wont be able to insulate...anyone any other ideas?
Also on the block bonding...should i cut right thru the outer leaf of the house where i am bonding..or just knock out an inch or 2?
Cheers,
MArty.

Sponsored Links
with block bonding cut right through the outer skin into the cavity mate, on such a small pillar on a garage think you are being a bit o.t.t with insulation but suppose you could use insulation backed plaster board or kingspan etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back