6381Y - why to buy by the metre ? And what size to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting to the point of needing to gather matierals together, but am hitting a wall trying to find 6381Y (as per this thread).
Of my local wholesalers, both can get it if I wanted 100m (or possibly 50m) - but neither can do short lengths, and one at least (didn't get that far with the other) can't do brown and blue. Neddless to say, at one of them I got the inevitable question of "what's wrong with 6181Y ?" :rolleyes: Similarly, the very small number of online vendors I've found so far only seem to do grey and blue.

Anyone know where I can buy brown & blue (and G/Y) by the metre ?

I did find this interesting thread while I was looking which also casts a bit of a cat in the pigeons regarding what size is needed :whistle:

Ah carp, can't edit the subject when you spot the error :(

Sponsored Links
Hmm, now I take another look, I think I may see why no-one stocks brown ...
According to the specification sheet available from http://www.elandcables.com/cables/6381y-bs6004-flexible-pvc-cable the options are :
Sheath Colour (Insulation Colour)
Blue (Blue) Grey (Grey) Green/Yellow (Green/Yellow)
Special colours to order

So I guess that because hardly any wholesalers stock it, few sparkies will be using it, so there's no demand for it, and so the wholesalers don't stock it* - and so the main use will be telecoms where they don't use brown :rolleyes: Guess I'll have to use grey then, but it's always going to niggle the OCD in me.

Thing is, it doesn't seem any more expensive than 6181Y, has a smaller minimum bend radius, has to be a lot easier to work with, so is there any good reason to NOT use it ?

* Reminds me of when I first got introduced to wire basket. The local wholesalers didn't stock it because no-one asked for it, and apart from I guess a lot of people never having heard of it, if it's not in stock to take away, it's not going to get used much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back