63ma rcd in consumer box trips - external 30ma doesnt RAIN!!

Really appreciate all the support with this guys - I'm open to all options you can give - and knowledge you may have.
I suspect you'll find that one of your outdoor accessories (or whatever) is 'full' of water. Don't wait too long (after rain) before checking, since it may then have dried/drained out before you check!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Really appreciate all the support with this guys - I'm open to all options you can give - and knowledge you may have.
I suspect you'll find that one of your outdoor accessories (or whatever) is 'full' of water. Don't wait too long (after rain) before checking, since it may then have dried/drained out before you check!

Kind Regards, John

Actually checked them last night in the rain (kept them dry while reviewing, they are all ip67 and have glands etc) - completely dry interiors - I'm suspecting a chipped cable or dodgy gland connect with the armour penetrating the insulation or something as haven't checked these yet, all cables are under decking so will need to be inventive retrieving and replacing them!

Do you have lights or anythong else connected to that circuit.

Dont forget that an RCD will look for an earth fault on the line and the neutral feed. Many switches only isolate the line - so a fault on the neutral will still trip the RCD even if the switch is "off"

Do you have lights or anythong else connected to that circuit.

Dont forget that an RCD will look for an earth fault on the line and the neutral feed. Many switches only isolate the line - so a fault on the neutral will still trip the RCD even if the switch is "off"

Lights are on a separate circuit, I have led floods, no issues with these - its just the sockets

Sponsored Links
Lights are on a separate circuit, I have led floods, no issues with these - its just the sockets
How 'separate'? Are you sure that they're not on a circuit which is protected by the same RCD in the house CU (the one that trips)?

Kind Regards, John

This problem needs examination using and RCD tester (to check the RCDs are working in spec) and an insulation resistance tester to determine the reason for the fault. You will not sort it by trial and waiting for the next rain storm.

TTC has answered your question here. You need to investigate the fault properly. If you don't have the required kit, you can hire it.
If you don't know how to use this kit, get an electrcian to check your installation.

You say you replaced the RCD, so that's not the problem. Without testing, how do you know that's true?

How 'separate'? Are you sure that they're not on a circuit which is protected by the same RCD in the house CU (the one that trips)?
Only sockets trip on rcd - lighting circuit remains active
Fair enough. The lighting must therefore be on a different RCD (or no RCD). As has been said by several of us, you need to get the circuits properly tested.

Kind Regards, John

apologies for being obscure - only sockets are rcd protected - all others are unprotected (MCB's), had a sparky in the other day he said setup (consumer unit) was fine (was in to remove a dodgy socket added by ewt water softner company - advised it was lethal!!) - I forgot to metion the tripping as hadn't happened recently - I'm kicking myself now - as pretty sure he could have hooked his tester up and id'd the issue for a couple of quid

apologies for being obscure - only sockets are rcd protected
Fair enough - I take it that this relates to any outside lights as well as indoor ones? If so, it's extremely unlikely (although not totally impossible) that any fault in the lighting (outdoors or otherwise) could be implicated in the RCD trips.

Kind Regards, John

apologies for being obscure - only sockets are rcd protected
Fair enough - I take it that this relates to any outside lights as well as indoor ones? If so, it's extremely unlikely (although not totally impossible) that any fault in the lighting (outdoors or otherwise) could be implicated in the RCD trips.

Kind Regards, John

Spot on exactly my thoughts - as lights are pre RCD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back