RCD tripping

They don’t make them like that any more.
Any replacement would be a different design and, with respect, would need an electrician to supply and fit.
But the RCD, although old, may be working within spec.
So many people who are faced with an RCD tripping think it is the RCD at fault. More often than not it is an external fault.

It lots like the whole installation is protected by that one RCD, and that’s a recipe for trouble.

It’s at this point that you need an electrician to
Test the RCD and replace if necessary
And
Carry out proper tests to see if there is a fault.
Otherwise it’s guess work and random swopping out of different bits. That is time and money consuming.

PS. Looking at the age of the RCD (the phone number is pre-STD so could be 50 years old. This could lead to further updating if your consumer unit/fuse board if it is of a similar age.
Oh I assumed that is the main switch on the CU. I certainly remember the design.

Sponsored Links
Disconnected the outside socket last week and the RCD keeps tripping now and again .
Sometimes doesn’t trip for a day or two , then it can trip through the night .
Could it be a fault with the RCD , here is a photo of the switch.
Can someone tell me where l could get a replacement switch which is like for like as it is a consumer unit that has been in for a few years now.View attachment 300711
They don’t make them like that any more.
Any replacement would be a different design and, with respect, would need an electrician to supply and fit.
But the RCD, although old, may be working within spec.
So many people who are faced with an RCD tripping think it is the RCD at fault. More often than not it is an external fault.

It lots like the whole installation is protected by that one RCD, and that’s a recipe for trouble.

It’s at this point that you need an electrician to
Test the RCD and replace if necessary
And
Carry out proper tests to see if there is a fault.
Otherwise it’s guess work and random swopping out of different bits. That is time and money consuming.

PS. Looking at the age of the RCD (the phone number is pre-STD so could be 50 years old. This could lead to further updating if your consumer unit/fuse board if it is of a similar age.
I will get it tested by a Electrician , just wanted to know if it was the RCD that this could be replaced . You are quite correct it is a older consumer unit but it’s wasn’t fitted that long ago..

I will get it tested by an Electrician , just wanted to know if it was the RCD that this could be replaced . You are quite correct it is a older consumer unit but it’s wasn’t fitted that long ago..
The Nottingham phone number by the switch indicates it’s 50years+ old.
I think that’s not quite “recently”.

If someone has installed that for you then you’ve been had.

The Nottingham phone number by the switch indicates it’s 50years+ old.
I think that’s not quite “recently”.

If someone has installed that for you then you’ve been had.
No it was already fitted when we moved into this house 25 years ago, but the dialling codes changed in mid 90’s and l’m sure there would have been a 0602 before that number but isn’t shown.. could be wrong ..
But regardless of this l will get it tested and find out what the fault is and get it sorted .

Sponsored Links
Yes, PhONEe day was April 16 1995, so 28 years ago when the 1 was inserted into the dialling code and some area codes (Sheff, Notts, Leeds, Leicester and Bristol) changed altogether.

I can't open the picture of the RCD. Can anyone post it for me please?

Yes, PhONEe day was April 16 1995, so 28 years ago when the 1 was inserted into the dialling code and some area codes (Sheff, Notts, Leeds, Leicester and Bristol) changed altogether.
That was the date that Nottingham started using 0115. Before that the code was 0602.
So that label is very very old.
The attachment has been deleted.
@ray316 can you post it again please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back