63mm Rainwater Downpipe into Soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’ve been asked by a Customer to reroute a Rainwater Downpipe , at present the Pipe comes halfway down the side of the House and exits onto a Car port , then comes off that to a soak away on the Lawn .... which at best of times is like a Bog !!

Customer has asked is it possible to reroute the Downpipe and take it under the Car port , I can get a good fall on it, and then put a Boss in the plastic Soil pipe to drain there ?? , I queried with him whether it would be ok with Water regs etc ?

I’m only a Sparkie , so I’m querying whether that’s ok to do and if so I can’t seem to find any reducers for 63mm-40mm to enter the Boss

Thanks for any replies

Phil

Sponsored Links
Firstly, waste to rainwater adaptors aren't available, possibly to prevent cross connection of waste pipes into rainwater drains. (Reducing 68 to 40mm isn't advised anyway, it'll soon block up with rubbish from the roof, that's if the 40mm could even handle the flow in heavy rain anyway.)

You can get 68 to 110mm adaptors for connecting rainwater to drainage, but any rainwater pipes must be connected to a combined sewer via some sort of trap, or you'll have foul odours from the sewer venting back up the rainwater downpipe. Connection to a stack wont allow you to trap the setup so wont work.

Technically you shouldn't be connecting rainwater to the sewer unless every other option has been exhausted, which by the sound of things, has been. Is there a gulley anywhere near taking rainwater or a waste pipe?

Hi

Thanks for taking that time to reply , I though that may be the case re foul water smells etc , I’ll have to have to give it a more detailed inspection. , to my knowledge the only Gulley is around the back of the House and that already has a downspout running from there .

cheers

Phil

Sponsored Links
There is clearly a sewer present under the car port taking the soil stack, if the situation is desperate, then excavation to find the sewer and connecting in a Gulley there would be an option. However, you then have the fun of negotiating any possible buried services in the vicinity whilst trying to locate the sewer, as well as making good the floor. That is also assuming the sewer isnt at a ridiculous depth...

In this situation it is Building Regulations that apply rather than Water Regs. (Water Regs are concerned with the supply of potable water etc, as soon as that water is used, you come under Building Regs for its disposal.) Building Control would also need to be notified and possible options discussed. They'd need to be satisfied all other options for disposal of the rainwater had been exhausted, i.e. Soakaway, (proved useless), rainwater sewer, (if there is one) and the foul/combined sewer as a last resort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back