6mm SWA cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi simple question can you tell me is 6mm the overall diameter of 6mm SWA cable please.

Sponsored Links
No, it is the cross sectional area of each wire in the cable. So, in twin and earth, each wire (conductor) will, when cut, look like a circle. The area of that circle is 6 square millimetres.

Thanks charliegolf so what would be the overall diameter of 6mm twin and earth swa cable be then please.

it'll be 3-core, not twin and earth, and the overall dia is about 16mm (though may vary a little depending on make)

(twin & earth is a specific cable construction that is different from SWA cable)

Sponsored Links
it'll be 3-core, not twin and earth, and the overall dia is about 16mm (though may vary a little depending on make)

(twin & earth is a specific cable construction that is different from SWA cable)
Thanks davelx is that because the armour is the earth on armoured cable. So i am not sure if electrician is using 2 or 3 core. I have to make an access point so he can get cable into bottom of garden room so needed to know the diameter of cable i will leave a 30mm gap so i know cable will fit.

Thanks davelx is that because the armour is the earth on armoured cable. So i am not sure if electrician is using 2 or 3 core. I have to make an access point so he can get cable into bottom of garden room so needed to know the diameter of cable i will leave a 30mm gap so i know cable will fit.

It depends on a number of factors - sometimes 2 core can be used with the armour alone providing the earth (actually known as the Circuit Protective Conductor - CPC), sometimes the armour does not have a low enough resistance and the armour and the thirds core are used together as the CPC. In other situations two core may be used with the armour connected to earth at the origin only and isolated at the destination end, with a local earth rod being installed. Your electrician will know the appropriate method to use for your installation.

No, it is the cross sectional area of each wire in the cable. So, in twin and earth, each wire (conductor) will, when cut, look like a circle. The area of that circle is 6 square millimetres.
The live and neutral are 6mm².

The CPC is 2.5mm².

20mm will be large enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back