7.6mm spindle on door handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Tried to replace a badly tarnished brass door handle (interior porch door with mortice lock), but the spindle on the old handle is 7.6mm, and the new handle has a spindle which on my calipers measures as 7.8mm. From what I can figure out from reading online, the modern standard is 8mm, so maybe the new 7.8mm spindle I have is supposed to be 8mm, and 7.6mm is an older type. New spindle wont fit through the existing lock. Tried packing the spindle out where it meets the handles, but the old spindle is also a little short for the design of the new handles.

Figured that I am not likely to be the first person to come across this so hoping someone can advise me on what is normally done in this situation?

I suppose I could replace the lock with a modern lock, but that seems like a lot of extra work just to replace the handle. Maybe a longer spindle and something to pack out at the handles?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Tried talking to a locksmith? A proper locksmith can often supply lengths of square rod to fit. Failing that you could always go old school and file down 8mm stuff to the required dimensions. Shouldn't take too long with a 10 or 12in bastard file.

Sponsored Links
A strange size. I can't see what the Imperial size would be. Some are 3/8"

What size is the hole? Is it tapered?

Thanks very much for all the replies folks, much appreciated.

The only problem with getting another 7.6mm spindle (or imperial equiv), or filing down, is that its still going to be loose in the new handle, so I would still have to bulk it out on the ends.

A strange size. I can't see what the Imperial size would be. Some are 3/8"

What size is the hole? Is it tapered?
I presume you mean the square hole in the lock. Its a neat fit to the existing spindle, so must also be 7.6mm or 19/64.

The strange thing is that my understanding is that 8mm is the standard size for modern spindles, but the one I got with the new handle (smith and locke) measured at 7.8mm, so maybe my calipers are out by 0.2 and the old one is 7.8mm, but that doesn't make much sense either as it would be half way between 19/64 and 5/16.

The spindle can be smaller than the hole

Maybe holes, or spindles, used to be 5/16"

I'm pretty sure I have some that are nominally 3/8"

I found below online at https://www.willowandstone.co.uk/blogs/how-to-guides/understanding-spindles

Is there a standard spindle size?

Yes. The 'standard' thickness of a spindle is 7.6mm. Most UK latch manufacturers produce latch openings at 8mm to accommodate this.

However, we know that there are a number of latches particularly from the early 20th Century that had a slightly smaller opening, meaning that a 7mm spindle is required. We now stock Cottage Bun door knobs which have a 7mm spindle and two removable 'collars' meaning the spindle can be adjusted to 7.5mm or 8mm.

So, if this is correct, the spindle size from the existing handle is the same as the modern standard, and the new spindle is just slightly bigger, but still within the size that would fit into the standard 8mm latch opening.

Maybe its the lock that is in the door that is old, and not as large as the modern standard latch opening of 8mm, just big enough to take the old spindle but marginally too small for the new one.

you can get spindle sleeves but they are 8mm to 7mm

you could get a 7mm spindle and a couple of the reducers

prob less hassle just to get a new lock
This is the sort of thing that I thought might exist, but hard to know if the 7mm would be loose in the lock.

Think you are right that it might be less hassle to get a new lock, as per my previous post I think its the lock not the handle that is the issue.

This is the sort of thing that I thought might exist, but hard to know if the 7mm would be loose in the lock.

Think you are right that it might be less hassle to get a new lock, as per my previous post I think its the lock not the handle that is the issue.
when replacing a lock, I try and choose a make that has the dimensions which are closest to the original -especially faceplate width, it minimises alterations needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back