7 inch round hole through exterior wall for flue - safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to get a hole made through my ground floor kitchen wall for a 7 inch diameter flue pipe.

I've looked all over the web and people seem to just get busy with the drill.

My concern is, the hole needs to be at a 45 degree angle, not horizontal through the wall. My walls are 1930's solid 13". At 45 degrees, that's a lot of material out of a ground floor wall (1st floor above). I can't see a single example where anyone has ever installed a small lintel or similar for such a hole, but I'm not feeling safe about it! The diamond driller I spoke to was happy just to get busy. Never brought up the concern of if it was safe.

Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I read many threads like this. No-one seems to do into any detail of if such a hole can effect the wall.

No-one has concerns about making a 45 degree 7 inch round hole through a 13" double block solid 1930's load bearing exterior wall?

You are unlikely to be able to drill a 45° hole through a wall with a core drill.

You best bet is to remove enough material for the flue pipe to be installed comfortably then brick it in.

Sponsored Links
Before fanned flues, boiler and water heater flues were about 12" square all that went through them was a thin steel liner I have never seen any wall collapse as a result.
Google "self-corbelling effect" even if a lintel above a 2 or 3 foot window fails only a triangle of bricks above starts to drop.

Hi,

I need to get a hole made through my ground floor kitchen wall for a 7 inch diameter flue pipe.

The diamond driller I spoke to was happy just to get busy. Never brought up the concern of if it was safe.

?
Then he will save you a lot of hassle cutting out and reinstating . I presume he will fix a jig to the wall and simply drill the correct size and angle . Wet or dry drilling it`ll be messy ,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back