70mm stud

Yes I have taken in all the posts, and am looking at getting someone in, either to check the work I do or to do the work entirely
That's good to hear, but I think that, in view of all the cautions which have been mentioned in relation to the fact that we are talking about commercial premises, I thing you would be strongly advised to get a professional to undertake the work. Whatever approach you decide to take, it's important to involve the electrician before any electrical work starts.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Getting someone to check your work might not discharge your legal responsibilities.

Yes I have taken in all the posts, and am looking at getting someone in, either to check the work I do or to do the work entirely

I was thinking of asking a relative whom qaulified this month, but as I understand it you need to have 2 years experience aswell as needing still needing an NIC EIC to sign off as well.

So I have not continued with the work while I look at professional costs etc. The prob is, I can finish put the plasterboard on with out running the two length of cable through the stud, which hold up anyting else I need to do.

Could you not put a some lengths of rigid plastic conduit in the stud wall, poking out from the top, straight down to sockets, for the future sparky to draw cables through?

Sponsored Links
Could you not put a some lengths of rigid plastic conduit in the stud wall, poking out from the top, straight down to sockets, for the future sparky to draw cables through?
Is that acceptable though??
If the conduit was entirely in the safe zones that will be created by the socket(s), and if the circuit is RCD protected, then (IMO) yes.

Kind Regards, John

Am I allowed to for the back boxes so I can connect the conduit to them.

If so, would metal back boxes be best secured to wooden bracing between two metal stud posts? Or would they have to be drywall boxes

Am I allowed to for the back boxes so I can connect the conduit to them. ... If so, would metal back boxes be best secured to wooden bracing between two metal stud posts? Or would they have to be drywall boxes
I don't think that you would be able to connect conduit to drywall boxes, not the least because you could not install such boxes before the plasterboard is installed.

However, as I keep saying, you need to discuss all this with the electrician before you start doing anything, even if you can find one who will be prepared for you to do some of the work - and despite my belief that, for a commercial property, you should get an electrician to do all of the work. If you are expecting an electrician to 'sign off' the work, you really need to find out whether the electrician in question (not members of this forum) will be happy to 'sign off' whatever you propose to do.

Kind Regards, John

Am I allowed to for the back boxes so I can connect the conduit to them.

If so, would metal back boxes be best secured to wooden bracing between two metal stud posts? Or would they have to be drywall boxes

Fit metal back boxes to wooden bracing. There is no need to use drywall boxes and the end result will be better IMHO.

Run your rigid plastic conduits vertically down to your backboxes and put an adapter on the end to fix to the back box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back