Metal stud walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never used metal stud work before. The studs seem to be either 50mm or 70mm. I assume metal stud walls are narrower than wooden stud walls. Or am I looking at the wrong stuff?

Sponsored Links
Seriously? How's it worse than CLS? I've never used it..... but its considerably cheaper than cls, hence my interest in using it......

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I once lived in a brand new house of which it's walls were 25×50 studs (end on) with a layer of 12mm PB each side, so the wall thickness was only 50mm, all pretty solid, I never would have believed it but I 'visited' other parts of the estate that were still under construction after I'd moved in so that I could see how my house had been built.

All the die hards are coming out of the woodwork, they'll all be saying anything less than a 100x47 stud is inadequate next ....

All the die hards are coming out of the woodwork, they'll all be saying anything less than a 100x47 stud is inadequate next ....
3 by 2 is ok for cupboards but i wouldn't use it between rooms unless i was double boarding. Which would negate the thickness benefits

Thickness benefit? what’s a thickness benefit?
It's basically because between the wall surfaces is unusable space, so the less space taken the more beneficial.
So if you're using thinner studwork to save space it defeats the purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back