Metal Stud framework - Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to insulate my basement using metal stud - which will be a floor to ceiling attachment.
Reason for not going down traditional wall battens is due to not want to compromise the tanking slurry applied to the walls.

I have just seen this stud in Selco >
To save space i was considering using 50mm rigid insulation board between the C studs. For this I will have to have a 60mm C stud so the board can slot in. Then standard plasterboard on top.

Does any one have any experience with insulating metal stud work with rigid board? If I switch to wool insulation I will have to increase the studs to 100mm which i am reluctant to do as I don't want to be losing any more room space.

Options:
1. 60mm metal stud framework. 50mm foil backed rigid insulation. 12.5mm plaster board. Total 72.5mm
2. 100mm metal stud framework. 100mm wool insulation. VCL. 12.5mm plaster board. Total 112.5mm
3. 50mm meta stud framework. 50mm wool insulation. VCL. 37.5mm insulated plaster board (25mm insulation/12.5mm plaster board). Total 87.5mm. Advantage of this method is the insulated plasterboard will prevent thermal bridging against the stud work.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any one kindly offer advice?

Option 4
62.5mm Insulated plasterboard straight on to the walls using foam (50mm insulation/12.5mm plaster board). Issue with this is that i don't think the walls will be strong enough to hold any fixtures and fittings. As mentioned before, i do not want to mechanically fix into the walls.

Info from KA who supplied the tanking slurry i used:
Q: Is it possible to use dot and dab after application of KA Tanking Slurry?
A: As long as you leave the KA Tanking Slurry 7 days to dry, the dot and dab method will work but if using a traditional dab mix the moisture which cures out has no where to go so condenses on the wall, the way round this is to use a dry fix system such as soudal fix all or dow cornings insta-stik

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back