Insulating a stud wall..

27 Jan 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have a 4x2 cls stud wall requiring insulation, will use either 70mm Extratherm rigid insulation or 100mm Isover glass wool.

Out of those two what would give the best U value.

Sponsored Links
Where is the wall? Internal partition? stud wall up against an exterior wall? Up against the neighbours wall?

Anyway, Xtratherm is the answer, but if it's a party wall or dividing wall then use the Isover.
Its a dividing wall for an internal garage, foil backed plasterboard on the warm side and fire board on the garage side.
Sponsored Links
Rigid PIR/PUR board is roughly twice as good as quilt insulation.

So same insulation value for 1/2 the thickness or twice as efficient for the same thickness

For a garage partition, you need 100mm of the xtratherm. No need for foil backed board with this insulation, nor in this situation (ie internal partition). Nor fire rated plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local