737 Aircraft loses lump of engine in flight.

What's odd to me is that the blade appears to have bounced around on the front of the fan before punching through the acoustic lining of the nacelle. AFAIR materials such as Kevlar and other composites are used to contain a blade off incident....but perhaps this doesn't extend forwards so far. And this is on an engine with a previous history of fan failures and modifications. Makes you wonder whether these commuter type flights give the engines a much harder time with so many full throttle takeoffs compared to your average holiday plane.
Everything on an aircraft is given a life span, when a component reaches X hours it is replaced and the component returned to the manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
are you a pilot?... if so are you a perfect pilot? if neither,,give the lady a bit more respect and a little less picky criticism.

Just saying that the voice procedures she used is not what I would expect from 'an experienced ex Top Gun pilot'.
I may not be a pilot but I am ex military with experience of radio voice procedures and how they should be kept short and succinct to avoid confusion.

I don't know that whizzing a jet fighter is entirely similar to cruising a bus on its daily timetable.

Jockeys are assessed and those with fast reactions fly, in my days, Lightnings, Harriers and Tornados etc, the rest flew Hercs and Britannias, the Lightning jockeys in an emergency was on the case whereas the transport jockeys would work as a team, she probably had to be retrained to work in a team.

Sponsored Links
I'm exRAF, my trade was aircraft mechanic propulsion (engines), although I am not conversant with this engine I think it is a bypass type, the rotors you can see suck in freezing cold air and there will be a means of heating them to avoid ice forming, the air passes through these and then i think about 50% is bypassed around the engine and the rest through the compressor where the temperature starts to rise to about 350'c if memory serves me before entering the combustion chambers and then exits through the turbine blades which are hot, these were made from titanium on the Olympus and Avon engines I worked on in the 70s, they were experimenting with porcelain blades back then, this sort of damage is usually caused by FOD, Foreign Object Damage, anything from a small washer to a bird, we had one on a Lightning 19Sqd in Germany, a buzzard went in the intake and wrecked no.1 engine
or possibly part of the de icing system came adrift

Just saying that the voice procedures she used is not what I would expect from 'an experienced ex Top Gun pilot'.
I may not be a pilot but I am ex military with experience of radio voice procedures and how they should be kept short and succinct to avoid confusion.
would like to see how good you would perform in the same situation.Exactly the sort of picky nonsense i would expect from RAF bods

or possibly part of the de icing system came adrift
Doubtful, I'm not sure but I think the de icing would be hot air ducted from the rear stage of the compressor and simply enters the airflow through holes in the intake, don't quote me on it though!!

Sponsored Links
Back