737 Aircraft loses lump of engine in flight.

Sponsored Links
A film on tv a while back depicted a guy being sucked up against an aircraft window as the cabin de pressurised and it ripped his back out and him also in pieces.
Is that what happened to the woman who died?

The voice procedures used during her recorded message played on the news tonight suggests otherwise. I would have expected something more professional and succinct from her. Informing the air traffic controller in a casual tone that 'something has fallen off the engine' and a passenger has 'went out' is not what I would expect to hear. She managed to confuse the controller as he had to seek clarification of what she was trying to describe.
Maybe she was a bit busy trying to land the plane,save hundreds of lives and not sat on MB zero zero seat with a lot fewer worries!!!ATC sounded more shocked at the situation described rather than her incorrect usage of the correct name for whichever part had DE parted the aircraft

Last edited by a moderator:
A film on tv a while back depicted a guy being sucked up against an aircraft window as the cabin de pressurised and it ripped his back out and him also in pieces.
Is that what happened to the woman who died?
Bizarre

Sponsored Links
If the poor woman, who died, had kept her seat belt on (loosely) then she wouldn't have been half sucked out through the window and would probably have survived.

If the poor woman, who died, had kept her seat belt on (loosely) then she wouldn't have been half sucked out through the window and would probably have survived.
I do believe she had her seatbelt on.Possibly she was hit by engine shrapnel too which seriously injured her.Possibly it was only the seatbelt that prevented her leaving the aircraft completely via the broken window..We shall see.RIP young lady..seatbelt or not.
There but for the grace of god go I!..As my mother wisely says

Captain cannot 'see' engine from her seat, has to rely upon information from instruments and possibly panicked cabin crew over internal comms. Flight deck door locked.
She sounded remarkably calm, imagine the instrument warnings - fire, vibration, sudden explosive cabin decompression, possible loss of at least one hydraulic system... this captain and her co-pilot are processing loads of information... Is the plane controllable ? Have to rapid descend from 30k feet with possible Hypoxia effects looming in short order. So flight deck oxygen masks on.
Each alarm probably mandates a separate check list - Tammy Jo was ultimately the tip of the spear, she came through - She has the pedigree - 'The right stuff' !
All the training in the world cannot fully prepare someone for the reality of their reaction to the full blown real emergency - several at one and the same time, coupled with the loneliness of command.

Note the passengers who don't act on the safety card instruction to fit their mask over nose and mouth... Familiarity breeds contempt.

---------------------------------
Very sad about the lady who died, nothing she could have done, loosely applied seat belt is debatable.
Anyone recall 'Mythbusters' ?

-0-

Last edited:
When the pilot was asked which engine had failed, she replied......er...captain's side.
Strange reply as I would have expected her to say either No1 or No2 engine, or even port engine. Just replying 'captains side' is her making the dangerous assumption that the controller is familiar with the cockpit layout of that particular aircraft.

When the pilot was asked which engine had failed, she replied......er...captain's side.
Strange reply as I would have expected her to say either No1 or No2 engine, or even port engine. Just replying 'captains side' is her making the dangerous assumption that the controller is familiar with the cockpit layout of that particular aircraft.

What difference does that maike when the plane is at 30,000ft and they are on the ground?.

What difference does that maike when the plane is at 30,000ft and they are on the ground?.

Its important for the ground emergency services to know what side of the aircraft is damaged. And to assist the controller on what runway to use for landing as a single engine landing can be affected significantly by cross winds.

Its important for the ground emergency services to know what side of the aircraft is damaged. And to assist the controller on what runway to use for landing as a single engine landing can be affected significantly by cross winds.
are you a pilot?... if so are you a perfect pilot? if neither,,give the lady a bit more respect and a little less picky criticism.

are you a pilot?... if so are you a perfect pilot? if neither,,give the lady a bit more respect and a little less picky criticism.

She remained professional and calm in a developing situation.....seems to me she did good.

GE/CFM 737 engine loses front fan blade - (see space behind investigator's forearm).
DbBisehX0AE-VHu.jpg

From
https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comments/8d1p7j/sw_737_fan_disk_missing_a_blade_ntsb_photo/

Seems like the old fan can be a problematic part of the structure.

-0-

DbBisehX0AE-VHu.jpg
I'm exRAF, my trade was aircraft mechanic propulsion (engines), although I am not conversant with this engine I think it is a bypass type, the rotors you can see suck in freezing cold air and there will be a means of heating them to avoid ice forming, the air passes through these and then i think about 50% is bypassed around the engine and the rest through the compressor where the temperature starts to rise to about 350'c if memory serves me before entering the combustion chambers and then exits through the turbine blades which are hot, these were made from titanium on the Olympus and Avon engines I worked on in the 70s, they were experimenting with porcelain blades back then, this sort of damage is usually caused by FOD, Foreign Object Damage, anything from a small washer to a bird, we had one on a Lightning 19Sqd in Germany, a buzzard went in the intake and wrecked no.1 engine

What's odd to me is that the blade appears to have bounced around on the front of the fan before punching through the acoustic lining of the nacelle. AFAIR materials such as Kevlar and other composites are used to contain a blade off incident....but perhaps this doesn't extend forwards so far. And this is on an engine with a previous history of fan failures and modifications. Makes you wonder whether these commuter type flights give the engines a much harder time with so many full throttle takeoffs compared to your average holiday plane.

Sponsored Links
Back